Questions to Ask on Bakers
The wedding cake is one of the most iconic items that you’ll have to plan for your big day and it is not as simple as just choosing the flavour and design. The logistics and technicalities behind planning and choosing your cake is a very important aspect that needs to be discussed with your cake designer to make sure things go smoothly.
We have put together a list of some key questions to ask before you hire.
Please use this list as a guide only; feel free to remove any questions or add some that relate to your particular event and make sure to get everything in writing in your final contract.
Check out our Planning Tips on bakers.
Download PDF Version
Download Excel Version
- How long have you been in business?
- What is your training background?
- How many weddings have you done?
- How many wedding cakes do you make a year?
- How many wedding cakes do you schedule on the same day?
- Can you provide me with references?
- Which cakes do you specialize in (wedding, birthday, etc)?
- What flavours and fillings do you offer?
- Do you have a set menu of flavour combinations, or can we mix-and-match cakes and fillings?
- Do you offer organic, vegan, or gluten-free options?
- Do you do both fondant and buttercream icing?
- Can you make a groom's cake?
- What are your specialties?
- How would you describe your cake design style?
- If I don't have a clear vision of what I would like, can you offer some design ideas based on my theme and budget?
- Can cakes be customized, or do I have to select from set designs?
- Do you have a portfolio of your work I can view?
- I have an old family cake recipe, can you adapt it for my wedding cake design?
- Can you create sugar paste, gum paste or chocolate flowers?
- If I decide to have fresh flowers on my cake will you work with my florist?
- Do you decorate the cake table, too?
- How do you price your cakes?
- Do you have a minimum cost?
- How much is the deposit and when is it due?
- When is final payment due?
- What is your refund/cancelation policy?
- Do you charge extra for cake tastings?
- Do you charge extra for delivery and setup?
- Do you charge extra for rentals (cake stands, cake knives, etc)?
- Are there any additional fees that I should be aware of?
- What recommendations can you give me to maximize my budget?
Business Matters / Logistics
- Do you have my wedding date open?
- How far in advance should I order my cake?
- How far in advance will my wedding cake be prepared?
- Do you provide or rent cake toppers, a cake-cutting knife, cake stands, etc?
- Do you schedule taste testing sessions?
- Do you offer other types of desserts?
- How will my cake be delivered?
- What do you do if the cake gets damaged in transit to or at my reception site?