Questions to Ask Make-up Artists
Having the right make-up artist can make or break your look, remember that your wedding will last for up to 8 hours....you need your make-up to do the same. You will want to look your best through the sweat and tears.
We have put together a list of some key questions to ask before you hire.
Please use this list as a guide only; feel free to remove any questions or add some that relate to your particular event and make sure to get everything in writing in your final contract.
Check out our Planning Tips on make-up artists.
Download PDF Version
Download Excel Version
- Are you available on my date?
- Do you only book one wedding a day?
- How many years of experience do you have?
- How many weddings have you done in the past year alone?
- What is your background? Where did you learn to apply make-up?
- Do you specialize in bridal make-up?
- Can I see your portfolio?
- Are the pictures in the portfolio of recent work, and have they been edited?
- Can you give me a list of references to call?
Trail & Consultation
- Can we do a trail run?
- Is there a time limit on the trail run?
- Can we try different looks during the trail?
- If I change my mind about my make-up after the trial, can we have a second trail?
- Where will the trial run take place?
- What products do you use?
- If I prefer to use my own products, can you accommodate?
- What are your sanitation habits?
- What kind of prep should I do before the trial and before the wedding?
- Do you offer additional services such as fake lashes, eyebrow tinting/shaping, tattoo coverage, hair styling, etc?
On the Day
- Can you come to the venue or will I have to go to your sudio?
- Will the person who did the trail be the one who does your make-up on the day?
- Can you do my bridal parties make-up as well?
- Will you need an assistant?
- Will you be able to stay on site to help with touch-ups after the ceremony?
- If not, can you give me some pointers (and product) on how to do it myself?
- Do you have a plan B if you are ill or have an emergency on the wedding day and can’t make it?
- How does your pricing work?
- Do you have any packages or discounts?
- Do you charge extra for...
- The trail run?
- Staying on site?
- Traveling to the venue?
- Are there any other costs I should know about?
- How much is the deposit?
- When is the final payment due?
- What is your cancellation policy?
Questions to ask yourself
- Did you click with them?
- Did you feel comfortable with them?
- Did they listen to you, and seem to want to give you what you want?
- Do you feel confident that they can give you what you want?